Don’t miss out on chance to join VJ Day 70th anniversary event in London, Legion urges Herts Far East veterans and their families
- Credit: Archant
Service charity chiefs at the Royal British Legion are urging veterans of Second World War fighting in the Far East not to miss out on an afternoon of events in London as part of national commemoration of VJ Day next month.
The 70th anniversary of VJ - Victory over Japan - day falls on Saturday, August 15, and veterans, former prisoners of war – both military and civilian - and their families are invited to be part of the London events which include a flypast and traditional drumhead service on Horse Guards Parade.
Following the service, veterans and their families, along with serving members of the armed forces, will parade down Whitehall to Westminster Abbey, where a 70th anniversary reception will be hosted for veterans by the Legion in the Abbey’s College Gardens.
Funding will be provided for Far East veterans, their widows and a carer towards the cost of travel.
Legion president Vice Admiral Peter Wilkinson said: “We are honoured to be involved with the organisation of events to mark the 70th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the years, veterans who served in the Far East after victory in Europe was announced three months earlier have expressed that they often felt overlooked or forgotten. While people were celebrating at home and returning to normal lives, those fighting in the Far East were still at war.
“These anniversary commemorations are an opportunity for the nation to show their gratitude to these ‘forgotten’ veterans, and acknowledge the endurance and determination they showed in continuing the fight in the most challenging of environments to bring the Second World War to an ultimate end.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Those who hold the Burma Star and Pacific Star or their widows can apply for accreditation to attend all three events. Direct descendants of Burma Star and Pacific Star veterans who are unable to attend or no longer living, can represent them at the drumhead service.
Anyone who wants to be there should register their interest by Friday by calling the Legion on 020 3053 7015 or emailing VJDay70@britishlegion.org.uk