‘Don’t bet on me being top scorer’ jokes Stevenage keeper after scoring against Wycombe
- Credit: Archant
Jesse Joronen scores second goal of his career as Boro beat Wycombe 2-1
Jesse Joronen says he is delighted to score his first goal in English football – but said don’t bet on him being top scorer this season!
The on-loan Fulham goalkeeper put Stevenage ahead in their 2-1 win over Wycombe with a long punt upfield which bounced over Matt Ingram and then into the net.
Armand Gnanduillet then made it 2-0 for Boro before Max Kretzschmar scored what turned out to be little more than a consolation for the visitors.
Speaking about his goal, Joronen said: “I’ve scored one before, plus that [against Wycombe]. Back in Finland. Obviously I haven’t scored that many goals in my career so you can imagine me being delighted.
You may also want to watch:
“Have to say I didn’t mean it to go that far. I was expecting the other keeper to catch it, but obviously it’s a little bit difficult with the wind blowing.”
Joronen said he spoke with Ingram, adding: “Afterwards I said ‘unlucky mate’ and things like that. It was not completely intentional, but I’ll take it.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Asked what the odds were on him being top scorer for Boro this season, the Finnish international laughed before saying: “Very little, very little. I wouldn’t recommend anyone betting on that.”