‘Don’t bet on me being top scorer’ jokes Stevenage keeper after scoring against Wycombe
- Credit: Archant
Jesse Joronen scores second goal of his career as Boro beat Wycombe 2-1
Jesse Joronen says he is delighted to score his first goal in English football – but said don’t bet on him being top scorer this season!
The on-loan Fulham goalkeeper put Stevenage ahead in their 2-1 win over Wycombe with a long punt upfield which bounced over Matt Ingram and then into the net.
Armand Gnanduillet then made it 2-0 for Boro before Max Kretzschmar scored what turned out to be little more than a consolation for the visitors.
Speaking about his goal, Joronen said: “I’ve scored one before, plus that [against Wycombe]. Back in Finland. Obviously I haven’t scored that many goals in my career so you can imagine me being delighted.
“Have to say I didn’t mean it to go that far. I was expecting the other keeper to catch it, but obviously it’s a little bit difficult with the wind blowing.”
Joronen said he spoke with Ingram, adding: “Afterwards I said ‘unlucky mate’ and things like that. It was not completely intentional, but I’ll take it.”
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 3 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 6 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
Asked what the odds were on him being top scorer for Boro this season, the Finnish international laughed before saying: “Very little, very little. I wouldn’t recommend anyone betting on that.”