‘Don’t be foolish, put the axe down’ – police in armed stand-off with Stevenage woman
- Credit: Archant
Police were involved in a dramatic stand-off with a woman with an axe in Stevenage this morning.
At around 9.40am officers were called to a first floor-flat in The Glebe.
The Comet spoke to an eye-witness as the scene unfolded.
They said: “Police cordoned off the area. I could see five police cars, and at least eight officers including at least three from an armed unit. I could see their guns.
“Police were standing on the walkway to the flat where the woman was.
You may also want to watch:
“They said to her calmly: ‘Don’t be foolish – put the axe down’.
“They were bending down talking to her through the letterbox.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“The door then opened and the woman came out. She didn’t appear to have the axe with her.
“They frisked her down. She was calm to start with. Then she said ‘leave me alone’ and a struggle started. About five police officers were on top of her. and she then started struggling quite badly.“
A police spokesman added: “Officers are currently at the scene. The woman has handed officers the axe.”