Doctors complete charity Channel swim
CRUEL seas faced two doctors from Comet country and their daughters when they swam the Channel for charity yesterday.
Dr Sue Graham, 44, who practices at the Birchwood Surgery in Letchworth GC, was accompanied by her daughter Charlotte, 17, and Dr Helen Parkinson, 50, who practices at the Astonia House Surgery, Baldock, was joined by her daughter Katie Fulcher, 22.
Two medical students completed their team that swam in relays from Dover to the French coast in 13hrs 7 minutes.
“The weather was very rough and we started the swim at 3.30am so it was dark as we followed our fishing boat with the pilot on board out into the Channel,” said Dr Graham.
“Two of our team were sea sick within an hour as our boat rocked from side to side in the rough seas.
You may also want to watch:
“Things got a bit calmer when we reached half way when we encountered jellyfish, some of us got a few stings, and the wash of the giant tankers as we crossed the shipping lanes. But it was great to reach the French coast and after a few minutes it was back into our boat and back to Dover.”
The team celebrated with champagne and fish and chips and they have also reached their �5,000 target for the Lynda Jackson Macmillan Centre at Mount Vernon Hospital, which offers much-needed support and information for people with cancer, and was helpful to Dr Parkinson when she was being treated for breast cancer.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
“I would like to thank the Comet because after last week’s story about our swim people came into the surgeries donating money to our appeal,” added Dr Graham,
If you would like to support the doctors and their team you can do it through justgiving.com/channelswim2010