Doctor Suspended for Abusing his Position
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient. A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they foun
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient.
A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they found that he abused his position, and did not act in the best interests of a patient.
While working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a female patient, known as Ms KT, a string of emails and text messages in a bid to attract her. He also bought the woman gifts, and invited her to a rugby match.
Explaining its decision, the panel said: "The panel considers that, while this may have a punitive effect, it is necessary to send a signal to you, the public, and the profession, which properly declares and upholds the standards expected of a medical practitioner.
"The panel considers it necessary to mark its disapproval of your misconduct and indicate that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
However, they also recognised that Dr Goodchild-Simpson is "fundamentally a good doctor," and added: "Despite the difficulties you have experienced, it is impressed by the strong testimonials produced in your support.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
"It is clear from these that your professional colleagues understand your previous problems and have been informed of the circumstances of this case, yet still wish to support you."
Dr Goodchild-Simpson has 28 days to appeal the decision.
FTP Hearing - Sanction Determination - Dr MR Goodchild-Simpson - 4036441 - March 2009