Doctor Suspended for Abusing his Position
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient. A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they foun
A DOCTOR has been given a two-month suspension after he abused his position to try to attract a female patient.
A General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel today (March 5) suspended Dr Matthew Goodchild-Simpson for two months after they found that he abused his position, and did not act in the best interests of a patient.
While working at the Ashwell Surgery in 2007, Dr Goodchild-Simpson sent a female patient, known as Ms KT, a string of emails and text messages in a bid to attract her. He also bought the woman gifts, and invited her to a rugby match.
Explaining its decision, the panel said: "The panel considers that, while this may have a punitive effect, it is necessary to send a signal to you, the public, and the profession, which properly declares and upholds the standards expected of a medical practitioner.
You may also want to watch:
"The panel considers it necessary to mark its disapproval of your misconduct and indicate that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
However, they also recognised that Dr Goodchild-Simpson is "fundamentally a good doctor," and added: "Despite the difficulties you have experienced, it is impressed by the strong testimonials produced in your support.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
"It is clear from these that your professional colleagues understand your previous problems and have been informed of the circumstances of this case, yet still wish to support you."
Dr Goodchild-Simpson has 28 days to appeal the decision.
FTP Hearing - Sanction Determination - Dr MR Goodchild-Simpson - 4036441 - March 2009