Disney characters add to magical atmosphere for Letchworth Christmas Lights Switch-On
- Credit: Archant
People came in their droves to dive into the festive spirit for Letchworth’s Christmas Lights Switch-On at the weekend.
As well as Saturday’s grandstand switch-on at 6.30pm – featuring Father Christmas and plenty of fireworks – there was a healthy measure of entertainment, with no less than 10 stage performers and groups on the bill.
The team at Imajica Theatre kicked off proceedings at 3pm before a series of main stage musical performances in Leys Square which was closed by the Garden City Academy Choir who sung their hearts out until 8pm.
Leys Avenue was packed with festive stalls offering craft beer, mulled wine, handcrafted goods and hot food and drink, while the lower end of the street provided a wide range of funfair rides.
The Santa sleigh procession – which started at the top of Eastcheap – proved popular with the crowds, as Father Christmas was towed by two elves, led by Minnie Mouse and Olaf from Frozen.
You may also want to watch:
Doug Owles, who is chairman of the Letchworth BID, said: “The light switch-on created such a magical atmosphere in Letchworth.
“The music, smell from food stalls, Disney characters and on-stage entertainment made the evening such a delight.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
“I would like to thank the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation for funding and arranging the Christmas lights this year.”
Organisers Love Letchworth will now turn their attention to their Festive Saturdays programme which will run between 12 noon and 4pm each Saturday in the run up to Christmas Day, featuring live music, a reindeer petting pen festive street food and mulled wine.
There will also be walkabout entertainers and late night shopping in the town.
For more information on the festive Saturdays search for Love Letchworth on Facebook.