Discover the pressing issues Hitchin voters raised with John Hayes – Labour’s candidate fighting the seat
- Credit: Archant
The Labour candidate fighting the Hitchin and Harpenden seat was out and about in the centre of Hitchin over the weekend.
Prospective Parliamentary Candidate John Hayes spent a busy day in the town’s on Market Place on Saturday campaigning – having conversations with hundreds of residents keen to meet him and hear his views on the important issues of the day.
Ahead of the snap national poll on June 8 John told the Comet: “It was great to meet so many constituents.
“There were many different questions and comments and it was good to hear about local concerns.
“The most frequent issue was around the impact of Brexit on Hitchin Businesses and the general population.
“Many people expressed real concern about the future.
“Education cuts and the impact on both primary and secondary schools was also a topic of worried discussion. I think people felt reassured that I am a local resident with a background in the public sector.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 4 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 5 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 8 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 9 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
- 10 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
“The next few weeks will prove interest as it was clear that Labour policies were already finding resonance with local voters.”