Discover the pressing issues Hitchin voters raised with John Hayes – Labour’s candidate fighting the seat
- Credit: Archant
The Labour candidate fighting the Hitchin and Harpenden seat was out and about in the centre of Hitchin over the weekend.
Prospective Parliamentary Candidate John Hayes spent a busy day in the town’s on Market Place on Saturday campaigning – having conversations with hundreds of residents keen to meet him and hear his views on the important issues of the day.
Ahead of the snap national poll on June 8 John told the Comet: “It was great to meet so many constituents.
“There were many different questions and comments and it was good to hear about local concerns.
“The most frequent issue was around the impact of Brexit on Hitchin Businesses and the general population.
You may also want to watch:
“Many people expressed real concern about the future.
“Education cuts and the impact on both primary and secondary schools was also a topic of worried discussion. I think people felt reassured that I am a local resident with a background in the public sector.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 3 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 4 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 9 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 10 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
“The next few weeks will prove interest as it was clear that Labour policies were already finding resonance with local voters.”