Disabled woman “over the moon” after club’s donation
A DISABLED woman has been given her “dream” gift after a charitable organisation came to her aid.
Donna Levett injured her spinal cord after a fall in 2007 and spent the year that followed in a number of hospitals.
Since being discharged, the Letchworth GC resident has found staying mobile difficult but now, with her �3,000 power assisted handcycle, she has been able to become more independent.
The 28-year-old contacted Letchworth Garden City and Baldock Lions Club asking for a donation but the club decided to fund the full cost of the Cougar handcycle, which attaches to her wheelchair.
“We try to build up our charity account to help local people so when Donna asked us for a donation we wanted to help,” said Harry Lote, president of the Lions.
You may also want to watch:
“Originally we were going to make a donation but we went to our members and they wanted to raise it all.
“When we told Donna we were going to order it she said ‘all my dreams have come together’.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
“She was so down before and didn’t have the confidence to go out but now she’s getting out and about.”
Donna’s dad, David Levett, a councillor for North Herts District Council, added: “She was absolutely over the moon when she found out as she’d been wanting one for over a year. She had been saving for one but it was just too much.
“Before (getting the handcycle) she had to rely on the car to get out and about but now she can get to places like the Greenway.”