Disabled man champions National Volunteers’ Week
A DISABLED man is proving just how beneficial volunteering can be for all involved.
Robert Wallace from Lonsdale Road, Stevenage, has cerebral palsy and has been volunteering in an initiative run by the Leonard Cheshire Disability called the Can Do project for the last two years.
The scheme has allowed the 28-year-old to combine his passion for information technology with helping others.
At the European Youth Together conference in Birmingham he installed software that changed PowerPoint slides to text so visually impaired delegates could follow the presentation and get the best out of the event.
He also used his understanding of disability and access issues to conduct a disability audit at Westminster City School in London.
You may also want to watch:
Robert, who also works part-time at Lonsdale School in Stevenage, said: “Can Do has done so much for me. It feels good to be a part of something where my contribution really counts.”
Since joining the project, Robert has not only increased in confidence and put his technical know how to good use but also met his girlfriend.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
He added: “Volunteering is very special to me because it’s how I met Heidi, I would recommend the experience to anyone because I feel like I’ve been able to make a difference while putting my skills to good use and having fun.”
Chris Fisher, Can Do project co-ordinator for London and the South of England said: “Robert’s enthusiasm for his voluntary work shows he is dedicated to helping others.”
National Volunteers’ Week runs from 1-7 June.
If you are disabled, aged 16-35 and would like to become a Can Do volunteer, visit www.lcdisability.org or call Chris Fisher on 07738 329277.