Dig out your wheels to enter the Biggleswade carnival parade
- Credit: Archant
People are being asked to raid their garages and dig out their cars, vans, bicycles, skateboards – and anything else that has wheels – to enter into the Biggleswade Carnival on June 24.
This year’s parade – the highlight of a two-week programme of events – has a nursery rhyme theme so people can pimp out their vehicles with decorations of their choice.
The parade and the carnival helps raise funds for a huge range of Biggleswade community groups, and this year the committee wants to raise funds for a defibrillator for the town centre. People can also dress up in nursery rhyme-themed costumes to walk in the parade and carry a collection bucket if they wish.
Yvette Swinburn, a member of the carnival’s organising committee, said: “We want to raise as much money as we can for the community and for the defibrillator as it will really benefit the town.
“We also want to try to bring the town community together on the day. With all the new homes being built, it would be great to bring everyone together.”
You may also want to watch:
Yvette said it is getting harder each year to fill the carnival as people are so busy, but she appealed for people to get involved in what promises to be a “really fun day”.
There is a packed programme lined up for the carnival in the middle of June.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
The popular annual event will kick off on Saturday, June 10, with a horse race night at the Gardeners Arms in Potton Road at 8pm.
It concludes on Sunday, June 25, with a children’s disco and grand draw at Biggleswade Social Club from 5pm.
Other highlights in between – besides the carnival parade through the town on Saturday, June 24 – includes a darts night at Biggleswade Social Club at 8.30pm on Monday, June 12.
On Sunday, June 18, there is a duck race, with participants meeting at the Dan Albone car park in Shortmead Street, before they are set on their merry way down and the River Ivel. The first race is at 2pm.
And on Thursday, June 22, there is a crib night at Biggleswade Social Club – for those who wish to attend you need to book in at 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
For full details and to enter the parade, visit www.biggleswade-carnival.org