Diary author at book store
A LUCKY purchase at an auction has led to the publication of a diary written by a Victorian naturalist, beekeeper and banker. By an amazing chance the author s great, great niece, who has transcribed and published the diary, now lives only yards from the
A LUCKY purchase at an auction has led to the publication of a diary written by a Victorian naturalist, beekeeper and banker.
By an amazing chance the author's great, great niece, who has transcribed and published the diary, now lives only yards from the family home in Hitchin Market Place.
Sarah Graham was given Joshua Whiting's diary by a cousin who bought some of the family documents at an auction.
As she began to read it she realised it was a very special record of "a quiet life lived in unquiet times".
His diary is full of references to nature, gardening and beekeeping and is illustrated and has added notes including biographies of Hitchin characters mentioned in the book.
Ms Graham will be signing copies of the book on Saturday at Eric T. Moore Books in Bridge Street, Hitchin, from 11am until 1pm.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
- 10 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
The Diary of Joshua Whiting, covering the period 1861 to 1873, is available to buy at local bookshops.