Diary author at book store
A LUCKY purchase at an auction has led to the publication of a diary written by a Victorian naturalist, beekeeper and banker. By an amazing chance the author s great, great niece, who has transcribed and published the diary, now lives only yards from the
A LUCKY purchase at an auction has led to the publication of a diary written by a Victorian naturalist, beekeeper and banker.
By an amazing chance the author's great, great niece, who has transcribed and published the diary, now lives only yards from the family home in Hitchin Market Place.
Sarah Graham was given Joshua Whiting's diary by a cousin who bought some of the family documents at an auction.
As she began to read it she realised it was a very special record of "a quiet life lived in unquiet times".
You may also want to watch:
His diary is full of references to nature, gardening and beekeeping and is illustrated and has added notes including biographies of Hitchin characters mentioned in the book.
Ms Graham will be signing copies of the book on Saturday at Eric T. Moore Books in Bridge Street, Hitchin, from 11am until 1pm.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
The Diary of Joshua Whiting, covering the period 1861 to 1873, is available to buy at local bookshops.