Diamond wedding couples join together in Letchworth ceremony
COUPLES celebrating 60 years of marriage have taken part in a special ceremony to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Eighteen married couples who have reached the milestone this year had the chance to renew their vows yesterday (Tuesday) in front of family and friends, before enjoying a free buffet lunch.
The Comet teamed up with independent celebrant Janice Cubis and Hertfordshire buffet business eatlunch to organise the occasion, which was held at The Spirella Ballroom in Letchworth GC.
Dennis Hill and his wife Stella from Stevenage were one of the couples who attended the event.
Mrs Hill, who was also celebrating her birthday on the day, said: “We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We met friends we used to dance with in previous years and my husband met people he worked with. It was just a nice convival afternoon.”
Letchworth GC residents Pat and Dennis Clark were joined on the day by two of their bridesmaids from their wedding 60 years ago.
Mr Clark said: “It was really pleasing how it turned out and I thought it was very well organised. I think everyone really enjoyed themselves.”
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
John Lewis, chief executive of the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, added: “We were happy that the Spirella Ballroom was chosen as the venue to host this remarkable ceremony. On behalf of the Heritage Foundation I would like to congratulate all the couples celebrating their own diamond wedding anniversaries.”