Diabetes sufferer raises money for Stevenage hospital
A TEENAGER with a serious health condition has raised thousands of pounds for a hospital where she was cared for during much of last year.
Sophie Washington, 14, was diagnosed with a complex form of Type 1 diabetes five years ago and has continued to raise money for Lister Hospital in Stevenage, where she has frequently spent the night during emergencies.
Despite her health deteriorating rapidly, Sophie has raised �6,000 after starting a project before Christmas to buy constant glucose monitoring equipment (CGM) for Lister and QEII Hospital in Welwyn GC.
She made and sold cakes to raise the funds, as well as receiving support from various community groups and individuals. Bluebell Children’s Ward at Lister has also profited with a �1,000 donation from Sophie to purchase new outdoor toys, a guinea pig hutch and a revamp of the staff room – a thank you to those who have cared for her over the years.
To help with the refurbishment, Sophie has also gained the support of local businesses and Regal Sterling Blinds, based at Chells Enterprise Village in Stevenage, is making new vertical blinds to replace the old curtains, free of charge.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie’s mother, Lisa, said: “Sophie is a wonderful girl who despite the huge difficulties she faces always remains positive and looks to help others.
“She is a role model for young people everywhere and an inspiration to all who know and love her.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
The redecoration and installation for the staff room is due to take place in August and Sophie, who is from Welwyn GC, is keen to find a supplier who can either donate or discount some leather sofas that will meet infection control standards, as well as a plumber who could supply and replace an old sink.
To make a donation to support the cause or to help in any practical way, contact Sophie’s mother Lisa through reception at The Comet on 01438 866000.