Delays expected as main roads around Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth start annual clean-up
- Credit: Archant
Motorists in North Herts may be in for delays as the busiest roads in the area undergo their annual sprucing-up, expected to cost about £35,000.
North Herts District Council’s roadside clean-up has started on the A505 north between Letchworth and Royston – the work there will go on until March 11, except weekends.
There will be lane closures to allow the roads to be cleaned safely.
Other work will take place on the A602 between Stevenage and Hitchin over the weekend of March 12 and 13, and on the A505 south between Hitchin and Luton from March 18 to 29, except weekends.
“Much of the work will involve removing litter and debris which has been thrown from passing vehicles,” a council spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also found large amounts of industrial waste which may have fallen from lorries.”
Councillor Lynda Needham, leader of the council, said: “We urge motorists to consider the ramifications of throwing rubbish from their vehicles.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
“All this has an impact on the beautiful countryside and gives visitors a poor image of the area. It is also very costly, diverting money from other valued council services.”
This year’s work coincides with the national Clean for the Queen campaign, the goal being to clean up the UK before the Queen’s 90th birthday – see cleanforthequeen.co.uk.