Dee-light for two clubbing Hitchin mum’s as Groove is in the Heart
- Credit: Archant
Two mums have organised an old school dance afternoon for everyone to get their groove on tomorrow – 25 years after American group Deee-Lite released their iconic song.
Cult track Groove is in the Heart – influenced by the sample from Herbie Hancock’s Bring Down The Birds – made it to number two in the UK charts in September 1990, with Claire Smith and Sarah Daly deciding to pay homage to the popular dance tune with a party in Hitchin.
The event, coming to Woodside Hall in Walsworth Raod, aims to attract ‘90s clubbers who are now parents with young children for them relive their youth – as well as providing a fun day for their children.
Mum-of-three Claire, from Shefford, fondly remembers dancing to the tune and said: “Groove is in the Heart is such an iconic tune, everyone remembers it so we thought we’d use it as the name – it was either that or 24 Hour Potty People!
“We’d love as many people as possible to come along – we’ll tell old school clubbers who are now parents to imagine it’s 3am instead of 3pm.”
Fellow organiser, and mum-of-four Sarah, of Chaucer Way in Hitchin, added: “We took inspiration from the good old days of clubbing before we all had kids.
“For parents who used to go clubbing in London and Manchester in the ‘90s before they had kids and responsibilities.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
“It’s a fun way for families to spend an afternoon for tiny tots up upwards. The theme is a tropical beach party – so dress to impress with Hawaiian shirts.
“There’s also be an outdoor chill out beach area with sand play area, a limbo competition, sand art, and mocktails.”
Groove is in the Heart, Clubbing with the Kids runs from 2pm to 4.30pm on Saturday, and is £3 for adults and £5 for children and includes a number of freebies. Tickets available at Felix Farley’s. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Woodside Hall, Walsworth Road, Hitchin, SG4 9SP.