Debris from bridge forced motorway closure
REPORTS that debris had fallen from a bridge forced the closure of a small stretch of the A1(M) this morning. The motorway bridge at junction 10 Stotfold turn was closed for more than an hour while Highways Agency engineers inspected the damage. Motorists
REPORTS that debris had fallen from a bridge forced the closure of a small stretch of the A1(M) this morning.
The motorway bridge at junction 10 Stotfold turn was closed for more than an hour while Highways Agency engineers inspected the damage.
Motorists travelling north and south had to use the slip roads to bypass the incident that caused severe delays and traffic chaos during the rush hour between 8-30 and 9.40am when the bridge was declared safe.
A Highways Agency spokesperson said: "The motorway in both directions was closed at around 8:30am to ensure public safety.
"A member of the public had alerted emergency services that small amounts of debris had fallen from a bridge on the A1(M) onto the A507 below.
"Highways Agency traffic officers attended the scene and an engineer was called out to inspect the bridge. Diversions were set up to enable traffic to use slip roads.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 6 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
"The Highways Agency engineer assessed that the public was not at risk due to the bridge damage. The motorway was then re-opened.