Death of man found next to Letchworth church ‘unexplained but not suspicious’, say police
- Credit: Archant
The death of a man whose body was found next to a Letchworth church at the weekend is “unexplained but not suspicious”, police have said.
The man’s body was discovered near St Paul’s Church in Pixmore Way, next to the junction with Baldock Road, on Saturday morning.
Police told the Comet that they were called to the scene by the ambulance service just after 9.20am.
A force spokeswoman said today: “The death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious, and a file is being prepared for the coroner.”
She added that the man’s next of kin have now been informed.
The diocese confirmed to the Comet on Saturday that, sadly, a man’s body had been found near St Paul’s Church that morning.
A spokesman said: “Police and the coroner attended the scene. Rev Amanda Ferris and her churchwardens also attended and offered prayers for the deceased, his family and those nearby who were affected by the discovery.
- 1 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 2 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 3 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 4 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 5 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 6 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 7 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 8 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 9 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
“The church is co-operating fully with the police and stands ready to offer pastoral support and comfort to the deceased’s relatives.
“The matter is in the hands of the authorities and the church will make no further comment.”