Dead body found next to Letchworth church
- Credit: Archant
A dead body was found next to a Letchworth church this morning, with a police cordon still in place.
The man’s body was discovered near St Paul’s Church in Pixmore Way, next to the junction with Baldock Road.
Police have told the Comet that they were called to the scene by the ambulance service just after 9.20am this morning.
A force spokeswoman said: “The death is currently being treated as unexplained and officers are working to establish the circumstances around what happened.”
Officers are working to trace the man’s next of kin.
You may also want to watch:
This afternoon, a diocese spokesman told the Comet: “Very sadly, the body of a man was found near St Paul’s Church in Letchworth this morning, August 19.
“Police and the coroner attended the scene. Rev Amanda Ferris and her churchwardens also attended and offered prayers for the deceased, his family and those nearby who were affected by the discovery.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
“The church is co-operating fully with the police and stands ready to offer pastoral support and comfort to the deceased’s relatives.
“The matter is in the hands of the authorities and the church will make no further comment.”