Dead body found next to Letchworth church
- Credit: Archant
A dead body was found next to a Letchworth church this morning, with a police cordon still in place.
The man’s body was discovered near St Paul’s Church in Pixmore Way, next to the junction with Baldock Road.
Police have told the Comet that they were called to the scene by the ambulance service just after 9.20am this morning.
A force spokeswoman said: “The death is currently being treated as unexplained and officers are working to establish the circumstances around what happened.”
Officers are working to trace the man’s next of kin.
This afternoon, a diocese spokesman told the Comet: “Very sadly, the body of a man was found near St Paul’s Church in Letchworth this morning, August 19.
“Police and the coroner attended the scene. Rev Amanda Ferris and her churchwardens also attended and offered prayers for the deceased, his family and those nearby who were affected by the discovery.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 7 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 8 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 9 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
“The church is co-operating fully with the police and stands ready to offer pastoral support and comfort to the deceased’s relatives.
“The matter is in the hands of the authorities and the church will make no further comment.”