Dead body found next to Letchworth church
- Credit: Archant
A dead body was found next to a Letchworth church this morning, with a police cordon still in place.
The man’s body was discovered near St Paul’s Church in Pixmore Way, next to the junction with Baldock Road.
Police have told the Comet that they were called to the scene by the ambulance service just after 9.20am this morning.
A force spokeswoman said: “The death is currently being treated as unexplained and officers are working to establish the circumstances around what happened.”
Officers are working to trace the man’s next of kin.
This afternoon, a diocese spokesman told the Comet: “Very sadly, the body of a man was found near St Paul’s Church in Letchworth this morning, August 19.
“Police and the coroner attended the scene. Rev Amanda Ferris and her churchwardens also attended and offered prayers for the deceased, his family and those nearby who were affected by the discovery.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
“The church is co-operating fully with the police and stands ready to offer pastoral support and comfort to the deceased’s relatives.
“The matter is in the hands of the authorities and the church will make no further comment.”