‘David Brent’ is VIP guest as Letchworth woman gets married
- Credit: Archant
A mother’s surprise extra guest ensured her daughter’s wedding day had a healthy dose of comedy when hapless boss ‘David Brent’ joined the party.
Although Slough’s favourite son might not be the first name on the guest list at every young woman’s big day, for The Office-mad Rebecca Wright he was a welcome witness as the tied the knot with Dean Wright on Saturday.
After the ceremony at St Thomas Church in Letchworth, the crowd headed onto The Broadway Hotel, unaware that Brent –or official lookalike Tim Oliver – was waiting in the wings to make an unexpected appearance.
Tim is no stranger to the limelight, having worked with Ricky Gervais and made appearances on The One Show, Richard and Judy and The Weakest Link.
Mum Jennifer Cutts, who had made the booking months in advance, said: “I wanted to give my daughter the best surprise on her big day.
You may also want to watch:
“I introduced David Brent and everyone thought I was mad until Tim came in and delivered an amazing speech.
“He told some great jokes and hung around for an hour, he was in character the whole time, going around different groups and speaking to people.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“My 16-year-old daughter Grace had been watching him on Britain’s Got Talent and I told him that she was his biggest fan.
“He just looked her up and down and said: ‘I’ve seen bigger’.”
Rebecca – who is expecting a baby – and Dean are now on their honeymoon in the Isle of Wight, no doubt chuckling away to themselves after their encounter with Britain’s most deluded boss.