Dave Perkins: The face of Stevenage
Boro fan to be featured on banner outside Old Trafford
Boro fan Dave Perkins will be the face of Stevenage when they take on Torquay United in the npower League 2 play-off final tomorrow (Saturday).
Perkins, 39 and originally from Chells, will feature on a 15x6 metre banner on the side of Old Trafford – seen by thousands of people on their way into the ground.
He won the competition – run by Football League title sponsors npower – after explaining what the Stevenage shirt means to him. There were more than 3,000 entries from football fans across the country.
Perkins, who works as a teacher, said on his entry: “My entire extended family walked down Wembley Way en route to the first ever competitive game at the new Wembley - the 2007 FA Trophy Final - with every Stevenage shirt I’ve ever owned being worn by a different family member. It was a beautiful memory.”
The giant banner of Perkins will be revealed on Old Trafford’s East Stand in full view of the thousands of fans walking up Sir Matt Busby Way to the stadium.
The competition was part of npower’s Every Shirt Has a Story campaign, which encouraged football fans across the country to submit their favourite shirt stories.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 7 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 10 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
The Every Shirt promotion – online at www.everyshirt.co.uk – is still open for fans to enter, with a range of prizes and football tickets to be won before June 30.