Dad in memorial row
A FATHER is refusing to remove a memorial from his son s grave accusing his local council of callous behaviour. He has also hit out at the latest investigation by police into his son s death. Alan Digby-Cameron of Stratford Road, Sandy, says he will only
A FATHER is refusing to remove a memorial from his son's grave accusing his local council of callous behaviour.
He has also hit out at the latest investigation by police into his son's death.
Alan Digby-Cameron of Stratford Road, Sandy, says he will only erect a proper memorial when he has found the truth behind his son Andrew's death.
His son Andrew, 27, was killed when he was struck by a lorry while trying to cross the A1(M) near Graveley in July, 2003. A temporary memorial cross has been on his grave in Sandy cemetery since March, 2005.
You may also want to watch:
Now Sandy Town Council says if Mr Digby-Cameron doesn't remove the cross by March 1, they will put it into storage.
The row between Mr Digby-Cameron and the council blew up a few weeks ago but he is standing firm.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
Sandy Town Council says it tried to help the family by extending the cemetery rules for temporary memorials from 12 months to two years.
Council clerk Trevor Stewart said: "If Mr Digby-Cameron does not remove the cross then we will and will put it in storage for him to collect."
But Mr Digby-Cameron said: "I am not moving the cross and this is a callous act by the council.
"I will erect a permanent memorial on my son's grave when the police have found the truth behind his death otherwise it will just be a target for vandalism. I want to put this terrible period in my life to bed.
"I am still getting threats at my home. Last week I received a letter for me to apply for an electric wheelchair which is obviously a threat some kind of harm is going to happen to me.
"I am disgusted by the council's attitude."
This week The Comet informed Mr Digby-Cameron that an inquiry by Essex police into the handling of the investigation into Andrew's death by Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire police had been completed.
The document is now with Bedfordshire police who have declined to make any comment. Neither has Hertfordshire.
But the possibility of any further police inquiry into the tragedy remains unlikely.
A letter from the officer conducting the inquiry at Essex police headquarters in Chelmsford to Mr Digby-Cameron outlines the reason why.
Det Ch Insp Peter Hood says in the letter given to The Comet this week and dated January 8: "I have recommended that at this stage of the investigation there is insufficient evidence to support the re-investigation of any criminal offences surrounding Andrew's death.
"In relation to the disciplinary matter, I have recommended there is insufficient evidence to warrant an investigation into the following areas.
l The failure by Hertfordshire police to incorporate allegations outlined in the correspondence from the family into their investigative strategy.
l The failure of Bedfordshire police to carry out a thorough and comprehensive investigation into the incident of July 26, 2003.
l The failure by Bedfordshire police to conduct a thorough and comprehensive enquiry into the criminal damage attack at the home of Mr Digby-Cameron on September 16, 2003.
l The failure by Bedfordshire police to conduct a comprehensive enquiry into the allegations of criminal damage to the grave of Andrew on October 14, 2005.
"I have not seen the report but disagree with what has been said so far by DCI Hood," said Mr Digby-Cameron.
In a reply to DCI Hood dated January 13, Mr Digby-Cameron called into question the way the investigation into his son's death was carried out and called for him to reconsider his decision not to recommend further investigation.