Cyclists’ tireless ambassador
A WOMAN has been named volunteer of the year for the East of England, by a cycling organisation. Tina Walker, 44, of Broadwater in Stevenage, said she was surprised and delighted to have won the award organised by CTC – a charitable trust which works to p
A WOMAN has been named volunteer of the year for the East of England, by a cycling organisation.
Tina Walker, 44, of Broadwater in Stevenage, said she was surprised and delighted to have won the award organised by CTC - a charitable trust which works to promote cycling.
She has lived in Stevenage since 1987 and is one of the reasons why the town's CTC cycling group has become so popular in the last few years.
As well as her tireless work on behalf of cyclists in the Stevenage area, Tina has two school-age sons and runs her own technical writing business.
Tina said: "I am very pleased and surprised to say the least. I simply do the things that I enjoy, getting beginners and others out cycling is just so important for so many reasons... fun, health, wealth, and keeping the planet!"
Tina started volunteering because she wanted to take her children on rides where they
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 10 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
could learn to cycle on the road properly and meet others doing the same.
Chair of CTC Council Jill Kieran said: "The contribution made by volunteers on behalf of their fellow cyclists is remarkable, without them so much of what we do would not be possible."
Visit www.stevenagectc.info for more information.