Cyclists brave elements for Letchworth race organised by Hitchin group
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists of all ages and abilities braved the elements in Letchworth on Sunday to take part in a cycling event with a difference.
Hitchin Nomads Cycling Club hosted the 10th and final round of the Central Cyclo-Cross league at Standalone Farm which saw riders tackling an off-road course full of small obstacles.
There were 15 races – including one for novices – in a field alongside the Greenway with both under 10s and over 50s taking part.
Organiser Simon Young of Hitchin Nomads said: “More than 250 riders of all ages braved the cold to tackle a course that became increasingly muddy as the day went on.
“By the last races many riders were forced to carry bikes to get through the mud.
You may also want to watch:
“Enthusiastic onlookers rang cowbells – a tradition at ‘Cross races – to urge riders on.
“The event was a great success and a fitting end to the ‘Cross season.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home