Cyclist targets women in series of ‘ride by’ robberies in Biggleswade
- Credit: Archant
Police are looking for a man who has been cycling around Biggleswade stealing women’s handbags.
In a series of five robberies between Tuesday, April 25 and Saturday, April 29, the male cyclist attempted – and in some cases succeeded – in riding past women and stealing handbags from their shoulders.
In the cases where the bags were stolen, attempts were made to use the women’s credit cards to make contactless purchases at shops in the town and the nearby.
Inspector Nick Masters who is investigating, said: “This is a worrying series of incidents and we are committed to fully investigating each offence in order to identify the person or people responsible.
“I would urge the public not to be alarmed, but to remain vigilant to their surroundings and report any suspicious activity. Keep handbags close to your body and valuables hidden out of sight. It’s important to remember that your safety is paramount and we would always urge people not to challenge offenders.
You may also want to watch:
“We would urge anyone who has any information about these robberies to come forward. We are carrying out a number of enquiries but any information, no matter how small, could help us to bring this person to justice and prevent further offending.”
The robberies and attempted robberies took place in Chapelfields at 7pm on Tuesday, April 25, in Back Street at 9.15pm on Thursday, April 27, in Cheshunt Avenue at around 10.10pm on Wednesday, April 26, and in Dells Lane at around 4pm on Saturday 29 April.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
Anyone with any information should call Insp Masters on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.