Cyclist takes on iconic climb which is part of Tour de France in memory of Biggleswade woman
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist is taking on an iconic climb which is part of the Tour de France to raise money for a family member from Biggleswade who lost her battle with small cell ovarian cancer.
Tom Gordon’s wife, Philippa, lost her cousin, Angela Butcher, to the condition in January 2013 when only 300 cases in history had ever been recorded.
Despite the diagnosis in September 2012, Angela set about changing this by fundraising specifically for research to give hope to others.
Inspired by Angela’s efforts, Tom will be attempting to cycle up to the summit of Mount Ventoux three times in one day next week to raise money for the small cell ovarian cancer research fund at The Eve Appeal.
Tom said: “Seeing all of the amazing fundraising for Angela’s Research Fund, I wanted to contribute somehow and this seemed like the ideal opportunity to get involved.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been hard fitting in training around working shifts and family commitments, as well as the lack of any mountains to train on. “Gravity will be working against me as well as thin air the higher I go. However, my discomfort will be temporary and hopefully my efforts will help the fund get closer to its research goals and ease the discomfort of those suffering from this disease.
“I’m looking forward to taking on Mont Ventoux, it’ll be a real test for me and a long hard day in the saddle.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“I won’t be setting the world alight with my timings but it’ll be a massive personal achievement for me and a fitting challenge to help Angela’s Fund.”
To support Tom in his challenge, visit www.justgiving.com/Tom-Gordon2.