Cybermen and soldiers descend on Letchworth for Doctor Who-themed surprise
- Credit: Archant
Cybermen and soldiers descended on Letchworth on Saturday to give a popular member of a centre for adults with learning difficulties the birthday surprise of her life.
Jean Cook, who has been supported at Jackie’s Drop-in Centre for more than 10 years, made a star turn in a special Doctor Who film which is being put together ahead of her 60th birthday on November 6.
Actors and stuntmen came from as far afield as Norfolk and Devon to give Jean – who plays an old friend of the Doctor – the acting experience she has always dreamed about.
The role of the Doctor – as portrayed by Patrick Troughton – was played by a mystery actor and Doctor Who enthusiast who brought along props including full-sized Cybermen suits and weapons for the soldiers.
The film is now in the process of being professionally edited with special effects, and will be completed in time for Jean’s birthday for a grand screening of her exploits.
You may also want to watch:
Jackie said: “It was a very special day and was enjoyed by all, I have been supporting Jean for 11 years and her love and passion for Doctor Who is out of this world.
“Ever since I have known Jean she has always wanted to star in a Doctor Who show but, of course it hasn’t ever been possible until now, making Jean’s day one to treasure.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
Jean was not the only one at the Norton Way South centre getting in on the act, with Chris Barker, Ian Brazear, Lee Poulton, Carl Jeff, David King, Dean Newbury and Kevin Thomas all getting a chance to share in the limelight.