Cuts to bus services in Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth met with anger
- Credit: Archant
BUS services across Comet country will be cut this weekend, prompting claims from commuters that they are not getting value for money.
Arriva made changes at the weekend to a number of its services.
The group of services – 94, 97 and 99 – that link Hitchin, Letchworth GC, Baldock and Stotfold are among those which will be reduced.
The 92 service – which connects Hitchin to Letchworth GC will be completely withdrawn.
The Stevenage ‘SB’ town services will all run to revised timetables and most will see some improvement in the number of journeys provided but the frequency of the SB6 serving Bedwell will be reduced to run every 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Shiel from Stotfold believes the company is not running the services for their customers but running them for profit.
The 70-year-old said: “They have been so unreliable in the past, they wouldn’t come on time and you would have to wait. We got so fed up we bought a car.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
“My son relies on the bus for work. It is already that bad that when he does a late shift and finishes at 10pm, he then has to get a train from Hitchin to Arlesey as the bus stops at 7.30pm. If they were more frequent more people would use them.”
Letchworth resident David Wakelin, of the North Herts Bus Users Group, added: “Customer service on the 55 is appalling. They left people stranded one night when the last bus to Stevenage broke down, even though they had other buses going back empty to the depot.”
A spokesman for the company has said, however, that some of its services will see some improvement, with some running more regularly.
Chris Danpure, 68 and from Stevenage, is one commuter pleased with the changes. He praised the early morning additions to the SB3 and SB4 service, and said: “This is a big improvement.
“The new buses at 5.25am and 5.50am will mean people can get the 6.03am and 6.24am trains to Kings Cross. There are a lot of people who would have had to reject work offers or pay for a taxi to the station. Now they can get there for a couple of quid.”
Full details of the revised services can be found online at arrivabus.co.uk/Stevenage-Letchworth-Sept13 or by calling 0844 800 4411.
Have you been effected by the change in bus services? Email email@example.com