Customers criticise Stevenage pub’s outdoor smoking ban
- Credit: Archant
Customers have criticised a pub’s decision to implement a smoking ban in front of its premises.
The Standing Order, a JD Wetherspoon pub in Stevenage Old Town, brought in a smoking ban on its front terrace earlier this month.
Lynn Arthur, a regular visitor with her husband Ron, said: “It’s absolutely ridiculous. You used to be able to sit outside on a nice day with a cigarette but now, even when no-one else is around, they won’t allow it - even with smoke wafting over from the pub next door.
“They still allow us to smoke down the side of the pub but it gets like a wind tunnel down there and completely blocks out all the sunlight – I just can’t see the point.”
Steve Blackie, who regularly visits the pub with a group of eight friends, thinks the measure is unnecessary and inconsistent.
He said: “I can understand why they might not want people to smoke out there - it gives non-smokers somewhere to sit outside on a nice evening.
“But my friends and I are always there during weekdays when hardly anyone else is around. A group of eight or nine of us are always in there and we have never had any trouble just popping out to the front for a quick cigarette before now. More than anything it’s just the way the situation has been handled by the management that’s upset us – we feel like we risk getting barred just for questioning the rules.
- 1 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 2 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 3 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 4 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 5 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
“Even after the ban was introduced I have seen people smoking out the front and not a word being said about it – we feel like we’re being singled out or perhaps they just don’t want our clientele. I could understand if it was The Ritz but it’s not.”
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “The Standing Order has a small non-smoking area to the side of the pub. This allows customers and families that don’t smoke an external area for them to enjoy a meal smoke-free.
“The pub has not made the entire external area non-smoking. There are a total of 14 tables for our patrons to enjoy outside. We welcome everyone onto our pub premises and do not descriminate against either smokers or non-smokers.”