Customers criticise Stevenage pub’s outdoor smoking ban
- Credit: Archant
Customers have criticised a pub’s decision to implement a smoking ban in front of its premises.
The Standing Order, a JD Wetherspoon pub in Stevenage Old Town, brought in a smoking ban on its front terrace earlier this month.
Lynn Arthur, a regular visitor with her husband Ron, said: “It’s absolutely ridiculous. You used to be able to sit outside on a nice day with a cigarette but now, even when no-one else is around, they won’t allow it - even with smoke wafting over from the pub next door.
“They still allow us to smoke down the side of the pub but it gets like a wind tunnel down there and completely blocks out all the sunlight – I just can’t see the point.”
Steve Blackie, who regularly visits the pub with a group of eight friends, thinks the measure is unnecessary and inconsistent.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I can understand why they might not want people to smoke out there - it gives non-smokers somewhere to sit outside on a nice evening.
“But my friends and I are always there during weekdays when hardly anyone else is around. A group of eight or nine of us are always in there and we have never had any trouble just popping out to the front for a quick cigarette before now. More than anything it’s just the way the situation has been handled by the management that’s upset us – we feel like we risk getting barred just for questioning the rules.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
“Even after the ban was introduced I have seen people smoking out the front and not a word being said about it – we feel like we’re being singled out or perhaps they just don’t want our clientele. I could understand if it was The Ritz but it’s not.”
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “The Standing Order has a small non-smoking area to the side of the pub. This allows customers and families that don’t smoke an external area for them to enjoy a meal smoke-free.
“The pub has not made the entire external area non-smoking. There are a total of 14 tables for our patrons to enjoy outside. We welcome everyone onto our pub premises and do not descriminate against either smokers or non-smokers.”