Crucial BID for Hitchin
A TOWN centre scheme that aims to generate �1.25m to improve the environment for shoppers reaches a crucial stage next week. Hitchin Town Centre Initiative (HTCI), the group behind a plan to create a Business Improvement District in the town, will send o
A TOWN centre scheme that aims to generate �1.25m to improve the environment for shoppers reaches a crucial stage next week.
Hitchin Town Centre Initiative (HTCI), the group behind a plan to create a Business Improvement District in the town, will send out ballot papers next week to almost 600 businesses in Hitchin asking them if they want to be part of the scheme.
Each business will be asked to contribute the equivalent of around �5 per week for a five-year period. This will pay for enhancements such as Street Rangers who will help visitors and act on graffiti, rubbish and other anti-social behaviour; upgraded CCTV and a dedicated cleaning team.
Keith Hoskins, HTCI manager, said: "It is about local people taking control of the budget and spending it where they see fit."
You may also want to watch:
The scheme will go ahead if 51 per cent of respondents are positive.
The ballot closes on April 6.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema