Crowds flock to a quintessential beard competition in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
A face fuzz fiesta saw crowds flock to a Hitchin pub for the town’s inaugural best beard contest. saw nearly 200 people flock to the contest held at a much-loved pub in the town.
Nearly 200 people were drawn to he Half Moon for Saturday’s contest staged by town-based male grooming firm The Quintessential Beard, with 50 contestants across the five categories.
Company boss Kerry Burrows said: “It was a fantastic day with a real festival atmosphere at the Half Moon.
“The interest we had was incredible. We had folk travel as far as Derbyshire and Somerset and contestants included two British beard champions in Andy Teague and Michael Wallage.
“Competitors in the five categories ranged from young children in the ‘Made Beard’ competition across to Mr Wallage who attended as the personification of John Bull replete with top hat and cane.
You may also want to watch:
“It was fantastic fun – a very community-minded day all round as people and families of all ages were there. We were pleased it gave the local economy a boost.
“It was also nice to see our Quintessential Beard products fly off the shelves.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
“The event was such a success we’ve already begun to plan for the 2016 competition.”
Winner of the freestyle beard competition, Rob Hine of Bedfordshire – dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean film series said: “It’s been a lovely atmosphere. We’ve all had a lot of fun over a beer or two which is great.”
Co-owner of the Half Moon pub Howard Phillips said: “Well done to sponsors Kerry and Sarah, and thanks to everyone who came along – it was a great atmosphere with fabulous beards!”