Police investigating 'suspicious incidents' at Hitchin outdoor pool
- Credit: Google - By Owner
A number of "suspicious incidents" have reportedly taken place at Hitchin's outdoor pool.
Both incidents allegedly took place on Tuesday, July 12, and involved men acting suspiciously around children at the pool in Fishponds Road.
Firstly, at around 1.30pm, a man was seen speaking with a young boy.
A member of the public became concerned after speaking to the man about the child.
The man then left, before the boy was joined by his mother.
Secondly, at approximately 3.30pm, two men were witnessed using their phones "suspiciously" by the pool side.
As swimming centre staff approached to investigate, the men left the pool.
- 1 'Do Not Travel' on trains to the North and Scotland for rest of day
- 2 North Herts and Stevenage set for scorching 29C by the end of next week
- 3 Fresh application for former Norton School playing field site amid appeal process
- 4 No reason why Stevenage can't emulate Barcelona says Steve Evans
- 5 Motorist suffers 'GBH-level injuries' in A505 Baldock hit-and-run
- 6 Stevenage expecting a reaction and a 'true test' against Stockport County
- 7 Care home celebrates 'good' rating
- 8 Amnesty launched to tackle knife crime in Stevenage
- 9 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 10 No action to be taken following Chicken George licence review
A spokesperson for Hertfordshire police said: "At no time did any of these men make any physical contact with any children, and it has not yet been established whether the two incidents are connected.
"We are continuing our investigations today and would urge people to report any suspicious activity directly to the police as well as pool staff in the first instance, rather than posting to social media.
"We would also like to speak to anyone who was at the outdoor pool in Hitchin on Tuesday, from midday onwards, and who believes they directly witnessed anything suspicious involving children at the pool.
"Anyone with any information is asked to please contact PC Lewis Thomson via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 299 of July 12."
Information can also be reported online.
A spokesperson for Stevenage Leisure Limited (SLL), who operate Hitchin Swimming Centre, added: "SLL are liaising with Hertfordshire Police regarding the two incidents that occurred at Hitchin Swimming Pool and will be assisting them with their investigation."