Crimewatch appeal for Letchworth sex offender attracts significant response
- Credit: Archant
A TELEVISION appeal for a convicted sex offender who skipped bail and failed to appear in court for sentencing attracted a significant response.
BBC1’s Crimewatch, which aired last Thursday, appealed to members of the public for information on Michael McCartney, who comes from Sollershott Hall in Letchworth GC.
Herts Police has said that the programme prompted about 20 lines of enquires.
McCartney was due to be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court on April 12 of this year for 11 offences involving children, but failed to appear in court.
The offences happened between 1989 and 2006 and occurred in Letchworth GC.
You may also want to watch:
The 77-year-old was convicted of nine indecent assaults on males, one count of indecency with a child and one count of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
He was sentenced to eight years in prison in his absence.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
A Herts Police spokesman said: “We would continue to appeal to members of the public for any further information.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Herts Police non-emergency number 101. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.