A youth initiative, praised by community police officers for reducing local crime, was honoured at the North Hertfordshire College Community Awards. The MBA Association is a project aimed at getting residents, businesses and organisation to deliver variou
A youth initiative, praised by community police officers for reducing local crime, was honoured at the North Hertfordshire College Community Awards.
The MBA Association is a project aimed at getting residents, businesses and organisation to deliver various projects needed in local communities.
As part of its work the association had helped to organise youth clubs, and young volunteers have been involved by painting and renovating their own youth club.
MBA were presented with the community youth initiative award, sponsored by Connexions Hertfordshire, at the ceremony last week in Stevenage which was hosted by college principal Fintan Donohue.
There were nine awards all designed to recognise the outstanding organisations and people within the community who go above and beyond the call of duty to help others.
The other winners on the night were:
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
* The Skateboard Mentor Project, which won the new initiate award, sponsored by Nord Anglia Recruitment.
* The charity SOVA, which won the Stevenage Borough Council sponsored community award for training in the voluntary and community sector.
* Chris Rodis, who won the community award for adult tutor, sponsored by Seetec Training and Job Search Centre.
* Carol Keith, 63, was rewarded with the community mature learner award, sponsored by The Gordon Craig Theatre.
* Erica Vey was honoured for her work in Hitchin with the contribution to the local community award, sponsored by Hertfordshire County Council.
* The Lannock School, Letchworth GC, won the community school award which was sponsored by North Hertfordshire College.
* Christchurch won the award for the contribution to local community, sponsored by Erainbow Network Project.
* Finally, Bobby Singh won The Stevenage Partnership sponsored against all odds award for working tirelessly to support young people in the community despite an eventful life including convictions.