How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- Credit: Archant
A Freedom of Information request submitted by this newspaper has revealed that fewer than 10 people have been fined for breaching coronavirus restrictions since the summer.
We asked Herts police: How many people have been fined for COVID-19 rules violations since the first lockdown lifted in July?
Using figures from July 1 last year, Herts police have confirmed that seven people in Stevenage were fined for violating COVID-19 rules and restrictions, as set out under the government's coronavirus legislation.
The new laws stipulate that you could be fined for breaking stay at home or social distancing rules or if you're a business owner, trading at non-essential business premises when ordered to close.
In Stevenage, fines were issued to people in Monument Court and High Street among other places in the town.
This compares to three fines being dished out in St Albans, and 47 fixed penalty notices being issued in nearby Welwyn Hatfield.
We also obtained information on the number of warnings issued by police for similar offences under COVID-19 laws.
- 1 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 4 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 8 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 9 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 10 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
In Stevenage, 88 people have been warned, while those numbers stand at 67 in St Albans and 228 in Welwyn Hatfield.
In England, fines start at £200 and the BBC have reported that there have been 32,000 fixed penalty notices issued since March in England and Wales.