Crews from Biggleswade, Sandy, Potton and more tackle field fires in Roxton
- Credit: Archant
Emergency crews attended two massive field fires near Tempsford yesterday afternoon.
Beds Fire and Rescue responded to reports of a blaze off Bedford Road in Roxton at 1.50pm, with crews from Biggleswade, Sandy, Potton, Shefford, Kempston, Toddington and Ampthill in attendance – assisted by colleagues who crossed the border from Cambridgeshire.
Firefighters tackled the blaze – which had engulfed 200 hectares of standing crop – using hosereels, lances and beaters to extinguish the fire.
A second call came in at 4.25pm – with crews responding to reports of a combine harvester on fire, which spread to 40 hectares of crops.
This was extinguished using a hosereel, jets and high-pressure lances.
You may also want to watch:
In Facebook post, Beds Fire and Rescue said: “Huge well done to all the crews involved and a special shout out to the local farmers who created a fire break to ensure the fire did not spread, and provided protection to nearby properties.
“Thank you to Beds police for managing the road closures and helping to keep the public safe.”
- 1 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 2 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction