Crews battle fire at closed Hitchin pub
- Credit: Archant
The roof of a closed pub in Hitchin has burnt down after a fire during the early hours of this morning.
Two crews from Hitchin and one from Letchworth and Baldock were called at about 12.40am after reports that the roof of The Sailor Boy was alight.
Firefighters searched the Woolgrove Road pub – which is currently closed and has had plans submitted for it to be redeveloped – but nobody was inside.
A Stevenage crew took over at 1.20am as they continued to battle the blaze, which has gutted the pub. After a period of dampening down, the fire was declared out at 3.12am.
A spokesman for the fire service said the incident is being treated as accidental and there will be no fire investigation.
You may also want to watch:
More information on the cause of the fire – which will be a severe blow to campaigners trying to reopen The Sailor Boy – is expected later today.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds