Cowan hoping for bright future at the Lamex
Pacy frontman looking to kick on after early-season woes
STEVENAGE striker Don Cowan is looking to put his unfortunate start at the club well and truly behind him, and go on to establish himself in the team over the coming months.
The 22-year-old Irishman – signed from League of Ireland Division One side Longford Town back in August – finally made his much-anticipated league debut for the club coming on as a late substitute during Saturday’s 2-1 win over Tranmere Rovers.
Cowan admits it was a huge relief to finally step out in front of the Boro fans at the weekend, after a less than enjoyable four months in Hertfordshire that began with a lengthy spell waiting for international clearance, followed by a knee injury and then a extended spell of fitness-building before Saturday’s run-out.
“I was buzzing,” admitted Cowan after the victory. “It was great to be able to just get out on the pitch and do my thing.
You may also want to watch:
“I did my medial ligament, which was a good 6-7 week injury, and then I had to get fit and show the gaffer I wanted to play. Now I’m knocking on the door I’m just going to train hard and see if I can get in the squad for the next game.
“The gaffer [Graham Westley] is a good man. You’ve got to show him that you want to play and he’ll look after you. I’m just training hard, working on my touch, fitness and everything else so hopefully over the next few months I’ll be able to break into the first team. It will be a step up [from what I’m used to] but I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash