Couple’s 70 years of marriage
FRED and Nellie Hunter s marriage has lasted seven decades. This weekend they are celebrating their platinum anniversary, which is so rare that their daughter Sylvia can t find a suitable card. She said: This event is so unusual that it s impossible to
FRED and Nellie Hunter's marriage has lasted seven decades.
This weekend they are celebrating their platinum anniversary, which is so rare that their daughter Sylvia can't find a suitable card.
She said: "This event is so unusual that it's impossible to even buy an anniversary card that covers it."
They were married 70 years ago when they were living in Cudworth, South Yorkshire (Michael Parkinson's home town).
You may also want to watch:
Fred was employed as a coalminer.
"Work wasn't very definite in coalmining and my brother was living in Hitchin and said how would I like to come and work down here?" he said.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Just six months after their wedding, the newlyweds headed south to Hitchin where Fred began at the British Gas works in the town.
They have remained in Hitchin ever since and Nellie spent many years working in the office at Brooker's until she retired at 70.
Fred said: "It was a vast difference from being in Yorkshire, but we've never regretted it."
Fred, 91, and Nellie, 88, have two children, Kenneth and Sylvia, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
They can't say what the secret is to their long marriage, but they say they've had their ups and downs just like everyone.
They will be celebrating their platinum milestone with a party this weekend, where they will be joined by over 40 friends and family.