County gets on track for 2012 Olympics
A CONFERENCE is set to light the torch for Hertfordshire s campaign to get the most out of the 2012 London Olympics. Delegates from all the county s local authorities, Herts Prosperity Forum, health sector, police and voluntary sector will be at the gathe
A CONFERENCE is set to light the torch for Hertfordshire's campaign to get the most out of the 2012 London Olympics.
Delegates from all the county's local authorities, Herts Prosperity Forum, health sector, police and voluntary sector will be at the gathering in Hatfield next week.
"The Olympics may be six years away but work is under way to grasp maximum benefit from the games - and this conference will form the basis of our strategy," said Robert Ellis, leader of Hertfordshire County Council who will make the welcome speech to the conference.
Highlight of the day will be a presentation on the canoeing slalom, Hertfordshire's only Olympic venue at Broxbourne. It will also provide information on organising the games, the overall impact on Hertfordshire and will identify the huge opportunities which would be worth many millions of pounds to the local economy.
You may also want to watch:
A partnership has been set up to examine all possibilities, including the county council, Herts Chamber of Commerce, Lee Valley Park Authority, Herts Association of Cultural Officers, Herts Sports Partnership and Sport England.
Cllr Ellis added: "This is a truly thrilling opportunity that we must maximise to the full. It will offer vast scope to residents, businesses, visitors and the whole community.
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 3 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 4 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 5 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 6 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 7 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 8 PE teachers to run seven marathons in seven days
- 9 COVID-19 cases plummet in Stevenage and North Herts as restrictions ease
- 10 Raft of measures to help tackle town's litter problem