Council acts to make significant savings
RESIDENTS are being asked which council services they value most and where they feel savings could be made, as Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC) battles to bridge a funding gap.
CBC has begun the process of setting its budget and council tax for 2012/13, with a budget survey forming part of a public consultation.
Services the council provide include road maintenance, waste collections and social care.
CBC will be given less Government grant, and there is increasing pressures on some services because of greater needs and rising costs.
Cllr Maurice Jones, CBC’s deputy leader and executive member for corporate resources, said: “Central Bedfordshire Council is continually striving to provide value for money and so far we’ve achieved savings of more than �20 million from reviewing the work we do.
You may also want to watch:
“This year we must save another �19 million and the feedback from this survey will help us to decide the best options for services that are sustainable and successful in the long-term.”
The survey can be completed online at www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/consultations
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
Paper copies of the survey can be found in libraries, doctors’ surgeries, customer service centres, leisure centres and council offices.
The deadline for responses is October 14.
The draft budget proposals will be announced on December 6 and residents will be consulted on these specific options in December and January.