Cops make a run for it
TWO police officers plan to run 177 miles over six days to raise £26,000 for charity. Hertfordshire specialist police officer Darren Clawson, of Letchworth GC, and colleague Trevor Collett intend to run along the Offa s Dyke National Trail to raise money
TWO police officers plan to run 177 miles over six days to raise £26,000 for charity.
Hertfordshire specialist police officer Darren Clawson, of Letchworth GC, and colleague Trevor Collett intend to run along the Offa's Dyke National Trail to raise money for Herts-based charity Iain Rennie Hospice at Home.
Nurses from the charity, which offers specialist palliative nursing care at home to patients with terminal illnesses, cared for Mr Clawson's aunt, Anne Brown, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died last April.
Mr Clawson said: "Raising money for Iain Rennie Hospice at Home is our way of paying tribute to her memory and the incredible work that this charity does every day.
You may also want to watch:
"Our target is to raise enough money to pay for an Iain Rennie nurse for a year."
The pair need to average 29.5 miles a day if they are to complete their challenge.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
Mr Clawson said: "The Offa's Dyke National Trail runs practically the entire length of the Welsh border.
"I have been training for four months so far. Its predominantly running and endurance work really. I have been running a half marathon every week."
A colleague, Jim Harris of Hitchin, is also accompanying the pair on their challenge, as the support element of the team.
They have so far raised around £3,000 and are looking to reach their target before their challenge begins in April.
To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org or, to sponsor the pair, visit www.justgiv ing.com/darrentrevor