Cop is hurt in racist brawl
A police officer was assaulted trying to break up a street brawl after a racist attack in a Biggleswade street. Police, some of whom were armed, were called to the incident in which officers say a knife was also seen. The fight involved eight men in Havel
A police officer was assaulted trying to break up a street brawl after a racist attack in a Biggleswade street.
Police, some of whom were armed, were called to the incident in which officers say a knife was also seen.
The fight involved eight men in Havelock Road, Biggleswade, at 2.30am on Sunday. Police were called by residents to the fighting and shouting in the street.
One local man suffered head injuries after being punched in the face but nobody required hospital treatment.
You may also want to watch:
A police officer suffered bruising to his body after being knocked to the ground as the fighting continued even after officers arrived on the scene.
Police say the trouble started after a number of local men who had been drinking allegedly began shouting abuse and banging and kicking at the front door of a house occupied by a number of east European men.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
A number of men came out of the house and a fight spilled into the road.
"This was a very serious incident and was racially motivated," said Insp John Maries, of Biggleswade police.
"I understand this incident was probably fuelled by excess alcohol but my message to anyone who carries out this kind of attack is that we will not tolerate any racist crime in the town whether it is verbal or physical.
"Four foreign men obviously took offence at the verbal abuse outside their house and doors and windows being banged and confronted the men outside which was when a fight started.
"It was lucky nobody was badly hurt but one local man did have a facial injury after being punched. I also understand a knife was seen during the incident. But I am not allowing things like this to happen again or have one of my officers assaulted."
The only reason local officers were joined by an armed patrol was because they were in the area at the time of the incident.
Five men were arrested, one local and four eastern Europeans, who were released on bail without being charged, to return to Biggleswade police station at a later date pending a police investigation into the incident.