Cooking on gas

PUBLISHED: 12:21 13 July 2006 | UPDATED: 10:28 06 May 2010

Sue Miller and Dolly Lee prepared meals in neighbours’ kitchens

Sue Miller and Dolly Lee prepared meals in neighbours’ kitchens

A BIT of good old-fashioned Bulldog spirit was called upon when a residential home was left without gas for over 30 hours after a blunder by contractors. The gas supply was cut off to Martins House in Jessop Road, Stevenage, at around 11.30am on Thursday,

Martins House

A BIT of good old-fashioned Bulldog spirit was called upon when a residential home was left without gas for over 30 hours after a blunder by contractors.

The gas supply was cut off to Martins House in Jessop Road, Stevenage, at around 11.30am on Thursday, leaving staff unable to wash the elderly residents, dry clothes in the gas-powered tumble driers or cook.

Residents were initially fed sandwiches and salads but the following day the home called on its neighbours to help out by letting kitchen staff use their electric cookers to rustle up some hot food.

Martins House manager Drew Hudson said: "We knew the people and we just asked if we could use their cookers and they said 'yes'.

"I'd like to thank members of staff and the locals who helped us out throughout the emergency.

"All the staff were put out and didn't object to doing that. They're a good team here."

The gas supply was eventually reconnected to the 63-bed home at about 8.20pm on Friday.

Mr Hudson said that none of the residents - aged between 85 and 105 - had suffered injuries or illness because of the incident.

But he added: "If it had been winter we'd have been in serious trouble."

A spokesman for National Grid told The Comet that its contractors Morrison Utility Services had been carrying out mains replacement work when they wrongly disconnected a gas mains which supplied Martins House.

The incident had come about because the plans did not show the home as being connected to that particular main.

The spokesman added: "I'd like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to the residents of Martins House.

"It was an unintentional disconnection of the home's gas supply.

"It is a rare event, normally our maps would show large connections like this.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet