Concert to mark choir's 50 years
STEVENAGE Male Voice Choir is holding a concert this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The concert will be held jointly by the choir and Hitchin Symphony Orchestra at St Mary s Church in Hitchin on Saturday The programme will be a varied one, wit
STEVENAGE Male Voice Choir is holding a concert this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary.
The concert will be held jointly by the choir and Hitchin Symphony Orchestra at St Mary's Church in Hitchin on Saturday
The programme will be a varied one, with a variety of songs performed by the choir and orchestra.
The choir, which was formed in 1958 by employees at the English Electric Company (now MBDA) has performed many prestigious concerts during the last half century, often for charity, and has appeared on television in Opportunity Knocks, Let the People Sing and Carols at Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman and second tenor John Bishop from Hitchin said: "Over the years we've helped charities raise many thousands of pounds. In recent years the choir has appeared at prestigious venues such as Twickenham Rugby Ground, Hampton Court and the Natural History Museum and also had several concert tours abroad, including Ireland and Malta."
This year the choir began its anniversary celebrations with a trip to France, including a concert in Chatelaillon-Plage in May which is twinned with Knebworth.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 6 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 7 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 8 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 9 COVID-19 cases continue to plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
Tickets are available in advance by calling 01462 458614 or from Hitchin Town Centre Initiative on 01462 453335.
The choir rehearses every Friday evening at the Arts Pavilion at the Roaring Meg retail park in Stevenage and is always keen to welcome new members. Anybody interested in joining (music reading not necessary) should visit its website www.smvc.org or contact the secretary, Edward Furye, on 01462 627502.