Concerns over ‘illegal camping’ in Stevenage parks
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
CONCERNS have been raised about “illegal camping” at two parks.
Mark Williams contacted the Comet on Monday after spotting tents at Fairlands Valley Park and King George V Playing Fields in Stevenage.
He said: “I’m concerned about the number of illegal campers that seems to be popping up around Stevenage.
“Recently there was a tent set up in amongst trees in Fairlands lakes, despite the council being informed it was there for approximately three weeks. “This last week, whilst out walking the dog, I noticed a blue tent in the corner of King George V Playing Fields and this was later joined by a large green tent. When I walked along with the dog on Monday morning I noticed a seperate blue tent either being put up or taken down.
“These aren’t just kids having a camping experience, they are grown men, with a couple of untethered dogs running around.
You may also want to watch:
“All their rubbish is just strewn everywhere and apart from anything else where are these people going to the toilet? Stevenage Borough Council has, again, been informed. I wonder how long it will take to sort this out.”
The Comet understands that a couple were camping at King George V Playing Fields this week and moved on today (Wednesday), following eviction.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
A spokesman for the borough council said: “This morning we visited the couple and will be working with them to find a solution.”
The council spokesman said they were unable to comment on claims the couple had been evicted.