Commuters suffer chaos on A1(M) after lorry smash
MOTORISTS on the AI (M) travelling north suffered severe congestion on Monday morning after a lorry turned shedding its load of 25 tons of axels. The lorry rolled 40ft down an embankment shortly after junction 9 on the north bound carriageway and also dam
MOTORISTS on the AI (M) travelling north suffered severe congestion on Monday morning after a lorry turned shedding its load of 25 tons of axels.
The lorry rolled 40ft down an embankment shortly after junction 9 on the north bound carriageway and also damaged the safety barriers and shedding fuel across both lanes of the motorway.
The accident happened just before 1am but the motorway was still closed ten hours later with all traffic travelling north being diverted off at junction 9 and through Baldock.
Police said the delay in reopening the motorway was because of work in recovering the lorry and its load and the need to repair the safety barrier. IT is expected the motorway will be fully reopened early in the afternoon ready for the evening rush hour.
# The motorway reopened after 10 and a half hours and police said there were no further restrictions on the northbound carriageway.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 6 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 7 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 8 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 9 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin