Commuters can take the plunge
SWEATY commuters will be packing trunks in their briefcases this summer after a town committee pays to keep a lido open late. This summer North Herts District Council s Hitchin committee is paying to keep the town s open air swimming pool open until 8pm
SWEATY commuters will be packing trunks in their briefcases this summer after a town committee pays to keep a lido open late.
This summer North Herts District Council's Hitchin committee is paying to keep the town's open air swimming pool open until 8pm every Monday and Wednesday throughout the school holiday period to give commuters the chance of a swim.
Committee chairman, Judi Billing, said: "Places like Hitchin are home to many commuters - people who typically leave the town early in the morning and return in the evening. Often their only opportunities for civic life are in the supermarkets and coffee shops at the weekend.
"I think we do very little to encourage their participation given that nothing opens before they go to work and everything closes before they come home.
You may also want to watch:
"We hope that the weather will be better than it was last summer and that this will be widely used by those getting off hot and grimy trains on those evenings!
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin