Commuters can take the plunge
SWEATY commuters will be packing trunks in their briefcases this summer after a town committee pays to keep a lido open late. This summer North Herts District Council s Hitchin committee is paying to keep the town s open air swimming pool open until 8pm
SWEATY commuters will be packing trunks in their briefcases this summer after a town committee pays to keep a lido open late.
This summer North Herts District Council's Hitchin committee is paying to keep the town's open air swimming pool open until 8pm every Monday and Wednesday throughout the school holiday period to give commuters the chance of a swim.
Committee chairman, Judi Billing, said: "Places like Hitchin are home to many commuters - people who typically leave the town early in the morning and return in the evening. Often their only opportunities for civic life are in the supermarkets and coffee shops at the weekend.
"I think we do very little to encourage their participation given that nothing opens before they go to work and everything closes before they come home.
"We hope that the weather will be better than it was last summer and that this will be widely used by those getting off hot and grimy trains on those evenings!
- 1 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 2 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Council backs master plan for further expansion of Luton Airport
- 10 Residents encouraged to have their say on Stevenage's new political map