Community order for Stevenage man who damaged Geoffrey the Giraffe at town’s Toys R Us
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage man has been handed a 12-month community sentence and must complete 180 hours of unpaid work after he damaged a giraffe mascot at the town’s Toys R Us store.
Stevenage Magistrates’ Court heard today that Benjamin Webb, of Shephall Way, had ‘without lawful excuse damaged Geoffrey the Giant Giraffe’ on March 29 while stealing video game items.
The 32-year-old also damaged an alarm barrier.
He was ordered to pay compensation of £34.99 to Toys R Us, as well as a victim surcharge of £60 and £85 in costs – £179.99 in all.
Webb was appearing at the court for the second time in just seven days – on Wednesday last week he was ordered to pay £225 after he admited stealing and then breaking a bottle of Jack Daniels at a Stevenage Asda.
You may also want to watch:
On that occasion he was fined £100 and ordered to pay £25 in compensation, a £20 victim surcharge and £80 in costs.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 3 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright