Community digs deep for riot victims at Letchworth fundraiser
A COMMUNITY choir and a church came together at the weekend to raise money for victims of the riots which swept the nation last week.
Letchworth GC’s City Chorus and Christchurch in Baldock staged the charity event in Letchworth GC town centre on Saturday, a week after disorder first broke out in Tottenham, London, before spreading to other towns and cities.
The impromptu fundraiser in Leys Square saw the choir perform a medley of songs from the stage and screen between 2pm and 4pm, while churchgoers at Christchurch Baldock served up tea, coffee and homemade cakes.
There was also face painting and a raffle on the day, with City Chorus members taking to the streets between 9am to 5pm asking the public for donations.
A total of �1,109 was raised from the event, suggested by Natalie Willbe, a member of City Chorus and Christchurch, with more donations coming in via www.citychorus.org
You may also want to watch:
Speaking afterwards, City Chorus founder and musical director Tony Ridgway-Cole said: “It was an amazing day and the community really rallied round. It was more about the community than what we were doing - I can’t thank the community enough for putting their hands in their pockets.”
Organisers also paid tribute to the Letchworth Town Centre Partnership and North Hertfordshire District Council for their consent to hold the event at such short notice and thanked businesses for providing help, equipment and prizes.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 10 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
Once all the funds have been collected they will be distributed by the Letchworth Round Table Charitable Trust to official London riot charities.
If you missed the event but would still like to donate visit www.citychorus.org