Comet heatwave: Stay away from open water’
AS THE heatwave continued Bedfordshire police warned children not to cool off by swimming in open water especially the notorious Blue Lagoon in Arlesey. The caution came as schools started to break up for the summer holidays and temperatures soared to a s
AS THE heatwave continued Bedfordshire police warned children not to cool off by swimming in open water especially the notorious Blue Lagoon in Arlesey.
The caution came as schools started to break up for the summer holidays and temperatures soared to a scorching 35C.
Police are also urging parents to warn their children and ask them not to swim in rivers or lakes.
"We are appealing to everyone to stay away from open stretches of water like the Blue Lagoon," said a police spokesman.
"The Blue Lagoon is on private property so people are trespassing. Officers will make regular patrols in the area to try and prevent people using the lagoon for either swimming or riding trials bikes.
"While the lagoon water might look beautiful and inviting, deep water can be extremely cold and leave people in shock.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 3 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 4 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 5 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
- 6 'Horrible cramped housing' plans rejected by council
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 9 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 10 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
"Tragedy has happened many times at the lagoon in the past and we are appealing to children and adults to keep out."
The spokesman added: "Parents should always ask their children where they are going and prevent them from going to any stretches of open water. We don't want another tragedy during the school holidays at the lagoon like we had last year.